Thank you for thinking about fundraising for Jigsaw4u; with your support we can help more children and young people put the pieces back together.
There are lots of different ways that you can fundraise for Jigsaw4u, below are some of our top tips and ideas. If you are considering fundraising please do get in touch with us so we can help you along the way.
We love to hear about our supporters’ events and we can provide you with fundraising materials such as wrist bands, balloons, leaflets and collection tins. Don’t forget to send us your photos and we can celebrate your success!
You can pay your money in online on our fundraising platforms such as; Virgin Money Giving, by cheque, cash or directly into our bank account, whichever is easier for you. Please ensure cheques are made payable to Jigsaw4u.
- Decide what sort of event you want to do. We have some ideas to get you started, or you might already have your own creative juices flowing. Once you’ve decided, or if you’re looking for some advice, please contact us on 0208 687 1384 or email@example.com to have chat with us about it.
- See if your employer will match fund what you raise– it can double your money and your company could be eligible for a tax deduction for a charitable donation – win/win!
- Organise your event – consider the most cost-effective ways of putting on your event, such as collecting donated raffle prizes, using the skills of your friends and family when it comes to catering or entertainment, ask for charitable rates from suppliers or sponsorship from companies. Every small donation can help you maximise the amount you raise.
- Spread the word – the key to a great event is having the right people in the room, or on the sponsorship form! Make a list of everyone you know, people they might know, and think about the best way of getting them to come to your event or sponsor your challenge. Make sure you tell the story of what you’re doing and why you’re doing it. Making it real and relatable is the best way to get people on board. Use social media to reach a wider network of people – Facebook, Twitter even Instagram are all great at spreading the word about your event. Don’t overlook things such as local press or your company’s e-newsletter either.
- Say thank you – it’s always important to share the successes of your event but also your gratitude to the people that supported you. We LOVE saying thank you to our supporters, so send us your photos and details of companies who have donated or particularly people you want to thank and we can do this via our social media and website. Thanking people properly and valuing supporters is the best way to encourage people to help you again in the future.
Are you the adventurous type? Or maybe you want to try and push yourself to do something new? Why not try a challenge event?
There are lots to choose from if you’re a runner, a walker, a swimmer or a climber. The weird and wacky tend to get the most attention. In the past we have had fundraisers run The London Marathon, do Triathlons, mud runs, abseiling and sky diving. One fundraiser even ran the length of Hadrian’s Wall.
“Until I started working at a primary school over 2 years ago, I had no idea this charity existed.One day I was told that someone from Jigsaw4u was coming in to speak to one of the children I worked with, as they were going through a rough time at home having recently lost one of their parents.
I enquired about the work they do and was delighted to hear that there were people out there who understood that children aren’t as resilient as they appear. Children need someone to talk to, to help them, to guide them through what can be very dark and difficult times. It is moments like this that can shape a child’s future and having someone help them can make it just that bit brighter and that bit clearer.
At the time I was fundraising for another charity so couldn’t help as much as I would have liked to. Then last summer Jigsaw4u were available again when a few other children had been plunged into this horrible world of loss. Having suffered my own loss earlier in the year and now free to do more fundraising I felt it was my time to step up and help in the way that I can.
So I have offered to run in various races throughout the year and complete various challenges. But the big one is the London Marathon. This charity is local and please check them out as they do fantastic work. Their aim is to help ‘put the pieces back together’ and we can all definitely help them achieve this. I will do the “leg work”; all I need from you is a small contribution to this great cause.”
Philip – Running the 2016 London Marathon for Jigsaw4u
Are you a business interested in giving back and making a difference? Go to our ‘Businesses’ page to find out everything you need to know about how your business can support Jigsaw4u.
Fundraising doesn’t have to involve hard work or big bucks. Why not have one of our collection tins on your desk or the reception at your work? The pennies soon add up and you’re also spreading the word about Jigsaw4u in the process. If you’re interested in having a collection tin get in touch with Jenny Harwood our Business Development Coordinator on 020 8687 1384 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Similarly, bucket shaking is a simple way of raising money at an event. Your company might be having a Christmas ball or your child’s football team might be hosting a tournament; you could ask to have a charity bucket collection for Jigsaw4u for people to get rid of their spare change and make a difference to a charity in the process. We can give you branded buckets if this is something you’re interested in.
As a charity that deals with bereavement every day, we realise that the death of a loved one has a huge and long lasting impact. A lot of people now choose to commemorate the person they’ve lost with charity donations or fundraising events; many of you may have given a charity donation instead of buying flowers at a family’s request – these are all known as gifts in memory. If you are thinking about leaving a gift in memory please get in touch if you’d like to talk about what you are planning. We do also have an entry in the Funeral Service Times, Charity Appeals magazine which should be available in most Funeral Directors.
Gifts in your will in another way of ensuring we can continue to deliver our work now, and into the future. Gifts that are left in wills could provide us with future security and help us to predict the sorts of services we may be able to offer in years to come. Talk to us, or your will writer, if you’d like more information on this.
Easy Fundraising is a simple way to raise money for charity without spending any more than you would on say – your weekly shop, a holiday or that new pair of shoes.
With Easy Fundraising you can shop in many of your favourite retailers and when you buy through easyfundraising.org.uk that retailer will donate money to your chosen charity. Retailers that take part include; Marks and Spencer, Tesco, Thomas Cook, Currys, Just Eat and Legoland – to name only a very few. Check out the website and see if your favourite shops take part, that way you can shop guilt free knowing you’re helping a great cause at the same time!
If you’re interested in signing up for Easy Fundraising check out our simple step-by-step guide and spread the news with your friends and family. Just by doing your weekly online shop you start earning money for Jigsaw4u today!
There are a few ways you can make regular donations to Jigsaw4u.
You could set up a regular donation through our Just Giving or Virgin Money Giving sites
You could also set up a direct debit direct to us, send regular cheques or set up payroll giving.
Payroll giving is a HM Customs & Revenue scheme that enables employees to donate tax free through their pay to any charity in the UK. This means that your donation is deducted from your gross salary, tax free so the tax you would have paid on your donation is also donated to Jigsaw4u
For every £10 donation you pay:
£8 at 20% £6 at 40% rate £5.50 at the 45% rate
Here’s some more information on Payroll Giving taken directly from www.gov.uk
If you are interested in fundraising and want to commit a little more time you could become a fundraising volunteer.
Why we need you?
As a local children’s charity Jigsaw4u we love to offer a flexible service to our families which includes taking children on trips, putting on events and being able to offer support beyond what is covered by our grants.
We would love to have a team of fundraising volunteers that could help us with our fundraising needs. This might be:
- Community fundraising – putting on a fundraising event, finding people who’d like to do sponsored events for us or finding a local cafe that would like to support us
- Corporate fundraising – helping us to find business that might want to support us
- Major giving – helping us to identify individuals who might support us
What would you need to give?
We would not require a specific time commitment from our fundraising volunteers. You might want to attend all of our Friends of Jigsaw4u fundraising meetings, you might just want to organise 1 fundraising event a year, or you may be somewhere in between.
It is completely up to you how much time you would like to offer and we understand this will vary person to person, and depending on your own life commitments.
Experience of fundraising or knowledge of other sectors would be useful but is by no means required – we are just looking for creative, enthusiastic people who’d like to help us make a difference!
Training and support
We run a volunteer training programme about the different services at Jigsaw4u, you would be welcome to attend this but it is not mandatory for fundraising volunteers. You would be supported by the Friends of Jigsaw4u volunteer group and the Business Development Coordinator.