“I wasn’t expecting to get involved so much as I’m quite a reserved person……in fact it allowed me to get out of my comfort zone and relax which is something I usually find somewhat difficult.”
We have some amazing volunteers with a range of skills. Volunteers work alongside Jigsaw4u staff to ensure that children and young people receive an excellent service.
There are different volunteering opportunities available at Jigsaw4u. Volunteers are valued and respected and receive expenses and support to enable them to fulfil their VITAL role within our service.
Jigsaw4u recognises the enormous work each person does, and would like to say a big thank you to the special people that volunteer with us. Each year at our AGM we honour volunteers who have done a fantastic job throughout the year; the highest of these honours is our Star Volunteer Award.
As a Trustee you will be a vital part of the Trustee committee, which meets with the Director of Operations and staff representatives approximately once every 2 months for about 3 hours on Tuesdays from 4.30-6.45pm. Additional meetings are arranged as needed.
General trustee responsibilities
- To ensure that Jigsaw4u complies with its governing document, charity law and any other relevant legislation
- To ensure Jigsaw4u pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- To ensure Jigsaw4u applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
- To contribute actively to the board of trustees role in giving firm strategic direction to Jigsaw4u, setting overall policy
- To safeguard the good name of and values of Jigsaw4u
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of Jigsaw4u
- To ensure the financial stability of the Jigsaw4u
- To protect and manage the property of Jigsaw4u and ensure the proper investment of funds
In addition to the above statutory duties, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the development of Jigsaw4u.
- Scrutinising board papers
- Leading discussions
- Focusing on key issues
- Providing guidance on new initiatives
- Other issues on which trustees have special expertise
Trustee – Person Specification
- Commitment to Jigsaw4u
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to support the work of Jigsaw4u
- Strategic vision
- Good, independent judgement
- Ability to think creatively
- Willingness to give their views
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries
Friends of Jigsaw4u are the volunteer group that are mainly in charge of fundraising events, but also trying to raise the profile of Jigsaw4u with marketing ideas. Supporting disabled young people, organising group activities and fundraising events.
Fundraising Volunteer Role Description
We’d love to have a group of volunteers who could organise fundraising events, help us with corporate fundraising and come up with creative ways to help us raise money so we can continue helping children and young people.
Why we need you?
As a local children’s charity Jigsaw4u we love to offer a flexible service to our families which includes taking children on trips, putting on events and being able to offer support beyond what is covered by our grants.
We would love to have a team of fundraising volunteers that could help us with our fundraising needs. This might be:
Community fundraising – putting on a fundraising event, finding people who’d like to do sponsored events for us or finding a local cafe that would like to support us
Corporate fundraising – helping us to find business that might want to support us
Major giving – helping us to identify individuals who might support us
What would you need to give?
We would not require a specific time commitment from our fundraising volunteers. You might want to attend all of our Friends of Jigsaw4u fundraising meetings, you might just want to organise 1 fundraising event a year, or you may be somewhere in between.
It is completely up to you how much time you would like to offer and we understand this will vary person to person, and depending on your own life commitments.
Experience of fundraising or knowledge of other sectors would be useful but is by no means required – we are just looking for creative, enthusiastic people who’d like to help us make a difference!
Training and support
We run a volunteer training programme about the different services at Jigsaw4u, you would be welcome to attend this but it is not mandatory for fundraising volunteers. You would be supported by the Friends of Jigsaw4u volunteer group and the Business Development Coordinator.
I thought the General Volunteer Training was well planned, well executed and clearly presented
I liked the varied and interactive nature of the sessions during the General Volunteer Training
Jigsaw4u are very respectful of the time that we spend as volunteers. There is a system to log all of the hours we have volunteered and there has always been something for me to do during the times I did volunteer
It can be difficult trying to support victims of domestic violence, particularly when you are trying to get other services to get things done! But it is really satisfying when you work really hard with someone and you see the results. I really enjoy that!